The Materials and Biomaterials Science and Engineering program from University of California, Merced applies the tools of nanotechnology to model, create and characterize transformative nano materials with exciting new properties through the implementation of nano-scale and/or bio-inspired devices for applications in human health, green energy, artificial intelligence and environmental sensing.
MBSE students will be exposed to, and benefit from, a thoroughly multidisciplinary training that synergistically incorporates elements from engineering, physics, chemistry and biology.
Our students also enjoy a wide choice of experiences from a rich toolset that includes:
- Molecular and cell biology, biophysics; advanced spectroscopy and imaging; protein engineering; microfluidics;
- Materials synthesis and manipulation, electrochemical, electronic and optical characterization, structural analysis and imaging, cutting edge nano-manufacturing;
- Computational modeling and simulation.
Programme StructureResearch Areas
- Materials for Sustainability
- Materials for Biomedicine
- Materials and Interfaces for Tailored Functionalities
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemical Engineering Materials Science & Engineering View 343 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in United States
- Hold a baccalaureate degree or its equivalent from an accredited institution with a major appropriate to the proposed graduate program. This degree must represent the completion of a program equivalent both in the distribution of academic subject matter and scholarship achievement comparable to that offered at the University of California.
- Have a satisfactory scholastic average, usually a minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.0 (B) is required.
- Provide TOEFL or IELTS test scores (international students only). All graduate applicants, regardless of citizenship, whose preparatory education was principally in a language other than English, must show evidence of having taken the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or TOEFL-Internet Based Test or the International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) examination within the past two years.
International11502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5751 USD per semester during 12 months.
National11502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5751 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Merced
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.