The Master of Design for Sustainable Urban Environments program at Northeastern University seeks to supply graduates for the rapidly growing field of sustainable urbanism. Through a dynamic curricular mix of design, dialogue, and technical courses enriched by diverse interdisciplinary electives, students will learn to be innovative and entrepreneurial creators and managers of next-generation public spaces.
The one-year MDES-SUEN degree is ideal for students wishing to build upon their professional degree by focusing on the unique design and planning topics that define the 21st-century city. Areas of study include advanced training in visualization and digital modeling techniques, workshop-based courses in urban ecology and landscape technologies, and graduate seminars on sustainable urbanism, resilient cities, and urban policy.
- For students holding a professional degree in landscape architecture, architecture, or planning
- Students may opt to do a full- or part-time graduate co-op
- Master’s Research Studio: Design and the Resilient City
- Master’s Research Studio: Master’s Project
- Pro-Seminar: Issues in Designed Urban Environments
- Topics in Urban Environmental Design
- Urban Ecologies and Technologies
- Cities, Nature, and Design in Contemporary History and Theory
- Cities, Sustainability, and Climate Change
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Priority deadline for scholarship consideration: February 1
DisciplinesDesign Sustainable Development Urban Planning View 189 other Masters in Sustainable Development in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Application form
- Application fee
- Transcripts for all institutions attended
- TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo exam scores for international applicants
- Personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation
International64944 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1804 USD per credit during 12 months.
National64944 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1804 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Boston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.