The Master of Fine Arts in Experience Design at Northeastern University offers a two-year graduate experience that combines theory and studio-based practice and results in a terminal degree. Students will engage in and complete this program with a studio-based experience design graduate thesis and a thesis exhibition. Graduates are prepared to continue onward to advanced academic or professional tracks as Experience Designers. They will be able to collaborate effectively in this dynamic and burgeoning field of research and practice, ready to succeed in design agencies, design-related and design-driven industries, research institutions, public institutions, PhD programs, and academic careers.
The program intends to produce professionals skilled in design principles and practices needed to assume leadership roles in an evolving interdisciplinary field. Embedded in the CAMD graduate course offerings, MFA in Experience Design students will have their own studio space and are part of a lively cohort of graduate students in related fields who intersect around vibrant events, exhibitions, guest lectures, and workshops. Applicants are welcome with past experience in the design domain but also in related fields such as architecture, business, engineering, computer science, communications, and others.
- Program includes exhibitions, guest lectures, and workshops
- The MFA combines theory and studio-based practice and results in a terminal degree
- Curriculum designed to prepare students for leadership roles in this evolving field
- Research Methods for Design
- Experience Design Studio 1: Principles
- Design Systems
- Notational Systems for Experience
- Prototyping for Experience Design
- Design for Behavior and Experience
- Experience Design Studio 2: Group and Interpersonal
- Design Studio 3: Synthesis
- Critical Design and Research Seminar
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
Priority deadline for scholarship consideration: February 1
DisciplinesDesign User Experience Design View 48 other Masters in User Experience Design in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Application form
- Application fee
- Transcripts for all institutions attended
- TOEFL, IELTS or Duolingo exam scores for international applicants
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
International48104 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1718 USD per credit during 24 months.
National48104 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1718 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Boston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.