About the Program
The comprehensive curriculum of the Jazz Studies program of the University of Oregon includes courses in theory, performance practice, improvisation, piano, repertoire study, arranging and composition, history, pedagogy, program planning and development, and studio instruction.
In addition to dedicated practice space for jazz drummers and small groups, the 2008 upgrade to the UO’s music facilities included the creation of a state-of-the-art studio for jazz instruction, rehearsal, and student recording projects.
Recent guest performers include Seamus Blake, John Hollenbeck, Theo Bleckman, Gary Versace, Danilo Perez, Vijay Iyer, Donny McCaslin, Dan Tepfer, Paul McKee, Steve Wilson, Maria Schneider, Jorge Roeder, Ron Miles, Don Braden, Ted Poor, Thomas Marriott, Luis Bonilla, and Rich Perry.
- Advanced Jazz Arranging
- Reading and Conference: Research Presentation Preparation
- Research Methods in Music
- Survey of Jazz Composition
- Jazz Pedagogy Practicum
- Jazz Program Planning and Development
- 20 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Musicology Liberal Arts View 705 other Masters in Liberal Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Statement of Purpose
- Scholarly writing sample
- Repertoire list (optional)
- Recent concert or recital programs (optional)
- Preliminary audition recording: submit via the Admissions File Upload webpage
- Second round audition, if selected from preliminary audition recording. Please review the Graduate Audition Requirements for details. Note that any student admitted on the basis of a recorded performance must perform a placement audition upon arrival on campus to begin studies.
- In addition, for Jazz Composition and Arranging emphasis, submit two representative scores and recordings of arrangements and/or compositions for jazz ensemble. At least one of these pieces should be scored for a large ensemble (ten or more performers).
- Three references
International31455 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31455 USD per year during 20 months.
National31455 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31455 USD per year during 20 months.
In-State18495 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18495 USD per year during 20 months.
Living costs for Eugene
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.