The practice of genetic counseling has changed rapidly with evolving technology, and students must learn not only how to practice as genetic counselors now, but how to anticipate future changes and remain at the forefront of innovations. Wake Forest is poised to train pioneering genetic counselors by leveraging the expertise of faculty with diverse backgrounds in molecular genetics research, clinical research, and clinical care.
In order to produce genetic counselors who advocate for their patients and the genetic counseling field, the Genetic Counseling program of the Wake Forest University strives to prepare the graduates to be better able to:
- Provide oversight regarding the ordering of genetic tests in the medical community, assisting with interpretation, and educating patients regarding results and their ramifications
- Advise in the development of new genetic tests and the reporting of the results to patients and consumers
- Appreciate the gray-area between what “can” be done in the field of genetics, and what “should” be done
We aim to create future leaders who are thoughtful and engaged in ethical issues and can help guide and direct the genetic advances of the future.
- Helping Skills in Human Services
- Human Genetics for the Genetic Counselor
- Prenatal Genetics
- Embryology and Abnormal Fetal Development
- Medical Genetics
- Psychosocial Impact of Genetic Disease
- 21 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Genetics View 25 other Masters in Genetics in United States
- A 4-year baccalaureate degree
- A semester (or equivalent) of the following coursework: Introductory biology, an upper-level biology elective, Biochemistry, Genetics, Statistics, Psychology
- Register with the NMS match system as outlined above
- 3 Letters of recommendation
- A written personal statement
- A video or audio statement
- Scores for the TOEFL Exam (International applicants only)
International38650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 38650 USD per year during 21 months.
National38650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 38650 USD per year during 21 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.