Advanced practice nursing is a defined career pathway for registered nurses, committed to continuing professional development and clinical supervision, to practice at a higher level of capability as independent autonomous and expert practitioners .
This programme prepares suitably qualified nurses to practice both autonomously and collaboratively in advanced nursing practice. On successful completion of this programme, nurses will be eligible to apply for registration as an Advanced Nurse Practitioner (ANP) and a Registered Nurse Prescriber (RNP) with the NMBI. This programme is delivered part-time over two years.
At the end of the MSC in Advanced Practice Nursing (Prescribing) at Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland , successful students will be able to:
- Articulate a vision for advanced practice nursing that is developed through research, critical thinking and experiential learning.
- Implement practice changes using negotiation and consensus-building, in collaboration with a multidisciplinary team and persons receiving care, across a variety of contexts utilising advanced research, ethics, political, clinical leadership and quality improvement skills.
- Demonstrate mastery in conducting comprehensive holistic health assessment using evidenced based frameworks to determine diagnoses to inform autonomous advanced nursing care.
- Synthesise and interpret assessment information at an advanced level within the practice area identified, or identified scope of practice.
- Demonstrate advanced nursing practice skills and knowledge within the domains of the Advanced Practice Nursing Model in attainment of advanced competencies.
- Practice in an often unpredictable variety of ill-defined contexts.
- Articulate safe boundaries and engage in timely referral and collaboration for those areas outside their scope of practice, experience and competence.
- Take significant responsibility for teaching others through clinical supervision and mentorship, and utilization of advanced practice knowledge and clinical competencies.
- Demonstrate advanced clinical leadership and professional accountability in clinical decision-making and in collaborative risk assessments, through the promotion of a safe practice environment.
- Demonstrate a range of standard and specialised research, or equivalent tools and techniques of enquiry, to further advance nursing practice.
- Advanced Research Methods
- Advanced Leadership (Professional and Clinical)
- Advanced Practice Clinical Practicum
- Advanced Systematic Assessment
- Professional Accountability in Nurse/Midwife Prescribing
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPublic Health Nursing Health Sciences View 108 other Masters in Public Health in Ireland
- Have a minimum of an honours primary degree in nursing or equivalent.
- Hold active registration on a division of the professional register maintained by the Opens in new windowNursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland (NMBI).
- Provide evidence of support from an employer and a completed Site Declaration Form (Advanced Practice Nursing Site Declaration Form All Applicants), signed by the Director of Nursing/Public Health/authorised nurse manager. This must contain confirmation of a designated medical practitioner mentor and/or ANP mentor.
- Possess competencies at Level 8 of the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Demonstrate evidence of continuing professional development.
- Possess a competent level of information technology literacy.
- Be currently employed as a nurse or midwife in the voluntary and statutory services of the Health Service Executive or a private health service organisation.
EU/EEA6695 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6695 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Dublin
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.