The MSc Social Science Research Methods (Psychology) (Part time) programme from Cardiff University will provide you with advanced training in research methods across the full range of the social sciences. All course pathways have ESRC recognition and meet the training requirements for ESRC PhD funding.
What you'll study
This programme offers extensive opportunities for interdisciplinary study, the application of social research expertise for occupational career development, and the pursuit of substantive area of interest at postgraduate level.
You’ll be provided with a thorough theoretical and practical knowledge of how to construct effective research studies, of the variety of data collection methods available to the social scientist and of the principal methods of analysing social scientific data. You’ll also be introduced to the political and ethical frameworks within which social science research is conducted, and to some of the ways in which the results of social science research are disseminated.
Well-resourced and with an excellent international reputation, the School of Psychology is one of the UK’s largest centres of psychology. In the latest Research Excellence Framework, it ranked 2nd in the UK for research quality in Psychology, Psychiatry and Neuroscience.
The Psychology pathway will provide you with an advanced knowledge of the design, conduct, analysis and interpretation of empirical studies within the discipline of psychology. Students on this pathway engage in School-based research activity in two areas within the School, from neuroscience, cognitive science, development and health, and social and environmental psychology.
- Developing Core Research Skills
- Foundations of Social Science Research
- Research Skills in Practice
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Quantitative Research Methods
- Research Applications
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPsychology Sociology View 551 other Masters in Sociology in United Kingdom
- 2:1 in any undergraduate degree or equivalent, related to Psychology or Social Sciences. Alternatively, you may be considered for admission if you are able to demonstrate that you have held, for a minimum period of two years, a position of responsibility relevant to the programme, or, in exceptional circumstances, be able to demonstrate equivalent skills that are sufficient to meet the demands of the programme.
- In addition to the standard application, you will be asked to produce an initial outline description of your intended research topic which will form the basis for assessing the application, together with the completed application form and references. The research proposal will also be the means by which you are paired with potential supervisors. It is strongly advised that you contact potential supervisors in advance.
International9350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9350 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4100 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Cardiff
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.