The Master of Science in Marine Biology program at Northeastern University delivers a unique combination of inquiry-based study, fieldwork, research, and workplace experience. Course work is geared toward preparing students to conduct research both in the lab and in the field while also examining the wildlife, ecosystems, and ecology of three ocean provinces: Nahant, MA, and the Gulf of Maine; Bocas del Toro (Atlantic) and Coiba (Pacific), Panamá; and Friday Harbor Labs (Puget Sound) in Washington state.
Students follow their course work with a six-month internship and independent research project at a location of their choice. Upon completion of the program, students present their projects in oral and written form. Competitive admissions and small program size lay the groundwork for future collaborations while connecting students to a wide-ranging network of alumni.
Graduates are fully prepared to plan and execute marine research and well equipped to embark on any path they choose, whether it be a top marine biology PhD program or a successful position in a marine-related career.
- This program meets F-1 international student status requirements.
- Students spend a year studying marine biology in three different marine environments: New England, the Atlantic and Pacific coasts of Panamá, and the Pacific Northwest.
- Students conduct and present an independent research project, with the goal of producing a publishable study.
- Small cohort of 20 students who progress through the program together.
- Biology of Corals
- Biology and Ecology of Fishes
- Marine Birds and Mammals
- Ocean and Coastal Processes
- Marine Invertebrate Zoology and Botany
- Marine Conservation Biology
- Ocean and Coastal Sustainability
- Tropical Terrestrial Ecology
- Tropical Marine Ecology
- 15 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
January 1 - priority admissions deadline. Applications received after this date will be reviewed on a rolling basis, depending on space availability.
DisciplinesBiology Ecology Environmental Sciences View 1263 other Masters in Biology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Online application
- Application fee
- Transcripts from all institutions attended
- Personal statement
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Degree earned or in progress at a U.S. institution
- Degree earned or in progress at an institution where English is the only medium of instruction
- Official exam scores from either the TOEFL iBT, IELTS, PTE exam, or Duolingo English Test. Scores are valid for 2 years from the test date.
International49680 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 62100 USD for the full programme during 15 months.
National49680 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 62100 USD for the full programme during 15 months.
Living costs for Boston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.