The Department of Health Sciences at Northeastern University currently offers a Master of Science in Exercise Science with a public health emphasis. The concentration in physical activity and public health recognizes that inactivity is a major public health problem and represents a significant risk factor for many chronic diseases including heart disease, stroke, hypertension, metabolic syndrome, obesity, type 2 diabetes, and some types of cancer. This program integrates key competencies for a degree in exercise science recommended by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), including knowledge of exercise physiology and the assessment and development of physical activity and exercise programs for the general and clinical populations.
The program offers three pathways of study: research, public health, and practice-based pathways. These pathways train students to pursue a terminal degree in exercise science or to pursue opportunities in research and clinical settings, or within federal, private, and nonprofit institutions.
- Internships, practicums, and research opportunities provide hands-on, experiential learning
- Small student cohorts ensure strong faculty mentorship
- Robust curriculum with a public health emphasis
- Interdisciplinary collaboration with faculty and community partners
- Students choose one of three pathways: research, public health, practice-based exercise science
- Cardiopulmonary Physiology
- Physical Activity and Exercise: Prescription, Measurement, and Testing
- Advanced Exercise Physiology
- Physical Activity and Exercise: Effects on Musculoskeletal Health and Disease
- Electrocardiography, Clinical Assessment, and Prescription
- Health Education and Program Planning
- Urban Community Health Assessment
- Biostatistics in Public Health
- Applied Research Methods
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesKinesiology View 38 other Masters in Kinesiology in United States
- Application fee
- Three letters of recommendation
- Transcripts from all institutions attended
- Personal statement
- TOEFL or IELTS for applicants who do not hold a degree from a U.S. institution and whose native language is not English
- Official GRE scores
International52600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 52600 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
National52600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 52600 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.