The comprehensive Master in Teaching, Bellingham (MIT) program from Western Washington University is firmly backed by current research of effective teaching and promoting student learning. The Bellingham MIT program can be completed in five quarters, including the student teaching (internship).
See the Department of Secondary Education catalog page for additional program and teacher certification information. In particular, review the following headings: Certification, Endorsements, Requirements upon Program Admission, Character and Fitness, General Retention Requirements, Program Completion, and Internships.
To qualify for program completion and recommendation for state of Washington residency certification, candidates must complete the following requirements and assessments outlined on the Secondary Education main catalog page, and:
The Graduate School policy is for program requirements to be completed within five years. While it is possible to earn the Residency teaching certificate without completing the final requirements for the MIT degree, it is not possible to earn the MIT without earning the Residency teaching certificate.
- Seminar in Educational Philosophy
- Seminar in Education, Culture, and Equity
- Teaching and Learning Laboratory
- Content Reading, Writing and Communication in Secondary Schools
- Teaching Adolescents
- Curriculum and Instruction in Secondary Schools
- 15 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Educational Research Teaching View 1798 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- Baccalaureate degree (or degree completed prior to program start date).
- A minimum overall grade point average of 3.0; or see Graduate School GPA eligibility requirements.
- Meet the basic skill requirement.
- Unofficial transcripts for every institution of higher learning attended (official transcripts required if admitted).
- A completed endorsement evaluation.
- Experience working with youth in an educational setting, with preference to public secondary schools.
- Experience with youth and families in diverse socio-economic, cultural, linguistic settings.
- Essays responding to the prompts in the online application (prompts also at SEC’s MIT website).
- Three letters of reference (details at SEC website).
- Completion of an approved English composition course, with a grade of B or higher.
- English language proficiency.
- Interview by SEC faculty (details provided after application deadline).
International23432 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23432 USD per year during 15 months.
National22927 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22927 USD per year during 15 months.
In-State10680 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10680 USD per year during 15 months.
Living costs for Bellingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.