About the Program
In the Bilingual, ESL, and Multicultural Education program of the University of Massachusetts Amherst students become leaders in second language education and multicultural education and have the option to obtain teaching licenses in E.S.L. or bilingual education.
We approach the study and practice of language development holistically, exploring the philosophic, historical, and theoretical foundations of multilingual/multicultural learning and teaching. We envision educational practices that help build an equitable world and multicultural nation and develop curricula that are responsive to racial, cultural, linguistic, and social class differences and facilitate learning. We prepare educational leaders to promote intercultural communication and cooperation and to critique and challenge existing social and educational structures and practices that exclude non-dominant groups and denigrate native language and culture.
- Seminar in Crosscultural Communication
- Language, Literacy Policy, and Planning
- Teaching Reading & Writing for Content & Language Learning
- Language Development and Literacy
- Theories and Methods for Sheltered Instruction
- Testing, Assessment, and Evaluation in Bilingual and ESL Education
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Language Studies Teaching View 3217 other Masters in Education in United States
- GPA of 2.75 (on a 4.0 scale)
- We look for students who have worked with diverse populations, either as teachers or in other roles, and experience with bilingualism/multilingualism, biculturalism, and cross-cultural learning
- We are also seek international students who are experienced language teachers in their own countries
- Online Application
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official transcript(s)
- A personal statement that articulates your interest in our program
- Evidence of teaching experience in formal and/or informal settings such as experience planning and teaching lessons in your own classroom or a similar setting
- A one-page explanation of how your prior experiences will inform your career in education
- If English is not your first language, evidence of your ability to speak and understand English: TOEFL with a minimum score of 80 or IELTS Academic with a minimum score of 6.5)
- Application fee
- The GRE or the GMAT are not required
International20380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10190 USD per semester during 12 months.
National20380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10190 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State9342 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4671 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Amherst Center
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.