About the Program
The Teaching program of the University of California, Irvine (UCI) prepares candidates to teach one of six subject areas at the middle or high school level. The MAT with Multiple Subject Credential program prepares students to teach all grade levels and content areas within the elementary school curriculum.
Teacher candidates in both programs experience a yearlong school site apprenticeship, where they can apply the content-specific teaching practices and theories studied in coursework. New cohorts of teacher candidates begin the program in late June, and complete the program the following July, allowing for a seamless transition to the workforce at the start of a new academic year.
The UCI School of Education - the No. 15 school of education in the nation - is in the heart of a preeminent research university. Through an innovative, diverse, and collaborative community, research informs practice, and vice versa.
Why the MAT Program at UCI?
MAT classes are led by a world-class faculty. MAT Teacher Candidates routinely student teach at more than 25 school districts across Orange County, and each candidate is assigned an experienced mentor and supervisor to help guide them on their teaching journey. MAT candidates are placed in cohorts for the duration of the program, which allows them to attend classes, establish rapport, and build community with a consistent cohort of peers. Student representatives are selected for each cohort to offer further support with academic and social needs.
- Directed Secondary Field Experiences
- Learning to Learn from Teaching
- Methods of Teaching (English, World Languages, Mathematics, Sciences, Social Science or Visual Arts) in the Secondary School
- Reading and Writing in the Middle and High School Classroom
- Culture, Diversity and Educational Equity
- Educational Equity and the Exceptional Learner
- 14 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Teaching Early Childhood Education View 3090 other Masters in Education in United States
- Completed online application with personal history and statement of purpose
- A baccalaureate degree with at least a 3.0 GPA
- Transcripts – Applicants must upload unofficial transcripts for all institutions attended since high school in the online application. If an applicant is admitted, official transcripts, where a degree was earned, will be sent directly to the Graduate Division office
- Three letters of recommendation, including at least one letter from a previous college or university instructor
- Certificate of Clearance
- Submit passing CBEST scores or evidence of equivalency for waiving the requirement
- Submit official scores or proof of equivalency as a PDF. We do not accept electronic scores sent directly from the testing centers
- Personal History
- Statement of Purpose
International33138 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33138 USD per year during 14 months.
National33138 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 33138 USD per year during 14 months.
In-State18036 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18036 USD per year during 14 months.
Living costs for Irvine
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.