For the last several years we have been ranked near the top worldwide in Agency Theory (or Philosophy of Action) and in 19th/20th Century Continental Philosophy, and we have strengths in Kant, the philosophy of mind and language, epistemology, the history of analytic philosophy, moral theory, legal theory and philosophy of religion. There is a large amount of interchange among the different areas of strength in the Department and most faculty work in multiple areas.
What you'll studyPhilosophy from University of California, Riverside is a program where students can study both contemporary analytic and contemporary European philosophy, where there is a strong presence in the history of philosophy, and where no rigid barriers between these different areas of philosophy exist.We have been quite successful in placing our Ph.D. students, and prospective students are invited to review our Placement Record.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- A Proseminar For First-Year Graduate Students: Metaphysics and Epistemology
- Workshop in Philosophy
- Seminar in Philosophical Problems
- Philosophical Texts
- Seminar in Individual Philosophers
- Seminar in Contemporary Philosophy
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Philosophy & Ethics View 240 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in United States
- Transcripts from colleges or universities attended (Send unofficial transcripts during the application review process; admitted applicants will be required to send official transcripts)
- A writing sample (10–15 pages long)
- A statement of purpose (1–2 pages long)
- A personal statement (1–2 pages long)
- Three letters of recommendation
- The application fee is $105 for domestic applicants, $125 for international applicants.
- We do not accept students interested in a terminal M.A. program. Thus, the application should be for admission to the Ph.D. program.
International17696 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8848 USD per semester during 24 months.
National17696 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8848 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State7628 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3814 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Riverside
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.