Students of the Comparative Literature program at the University of California, Riverside are trained to pursue interdisciplinary and multilingual work grounded in the reading of texts in the original languages. Faculty work in areas including gender and feminist studies, postcolonial theory, poetics, media and cultural studies, critical theory, science and science fiction studies, and comparative ancient civilizations.
Among the literatures students may work in are Arabic, Chinese, Classical Greek, English, Filipino, French, German, Italian, Indonesian, Korean, Japanese, Latin, Malaysian, Russian, Spanish, and Vietnamese.
To enhance their interdisciplinary work and training, our graduate students work with faculty in other departments and programs at UCR, including:
- Media and Cultural Studies
- Creative Writing
- Art History
- Hispanic Studies
- Gender & Sexuality Studies
- Canons in Comparative Literature
- Issues in Contemporary Theory
- Topics in East Asian Literature and Film
- Modern African Literature
- Seminar in Comparative Literature
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature View 810 other Masters in Literature in United States
- GRE scores sent directly from ETS. Scores cannot be more than 5 years old, dating from the intended term of matriculation at UCR.
- English language proficiency. All applicants whose native language is not English and who do not have a degree from an institution where English is the exclusive language of instruction must complete the TOEFL or IELTS.
- 3.0 GPA
- Application fee. For international applicants, $100. For domestic applicants, $80.
- Three letters of reference.
- Two official sealed transcripts from all institutions you have attended.
- Degree certificates. If you have graduated from a foreign institution, degree certificates are required in both the original language and English translation.
- Statement of Purpose.
- Personal History Statement. Resumes or CVs are not acceptable in lieu of this statement.
- Writing sample of 10-15 pages.
- Statement of language proficiency.
International17696 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8848 USD per semester during 24 months.
National17696 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8848 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State7628 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3814 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Riverside
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.