What you will study
This unique Theatre - Directing MFA program offered at University of Texas at Austin combines a rigorous immersion in the tactical craft of directing with a bold embrace of collaborative theatre models. As part of our focus on new work, M.F.A. directing students work closely and regularly with the university's award-winning M.F.A. in Theatre playwriting program, directing/developing aesthetically diverse new work in both classroom, workshop and production settings. In addition to preparing our directors for scripted work (by both established and emerging playwrights) - we also expect them to be conversant and accomplished in a variety of non-traditional approaches to creating new theatre: generative, adaptive, devised and community-based.
Graduate directors have access to targeted professional residencies around the country such as Soho Rep, Southern Rep and Kitchen Dog theaters and ongoing summer observerships. Students have observed at venues such as Clubbed Thumb, Steppenwolf Theatre, The Orchard Project, O'Neill Theatre Center, PlayPenn, the Contemporary American Theatre Festival and Oregon Shakespeare Festival, among others.
- Performance as Public Practice
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Liberal Arts Theatre & Dance View 704 other Masters in Liberal Arts in United States
- Official Transcripts: Applicants must submit transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, both at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Online instructions for uploading transcripts (PDF format only).
- Three letters of recommendation: These letters should be written by those who can speak most authoritatively about your background, training, professional experience and potential for a career in your chosen area of specialization in theatre.
- Professional Résumé
- Portfolio: A portfolio is required that includes any or all of the following: photos of realized productions or records or realized art work, video of work, reviews, samples of your director's script for any productions or any other record or writing on your work.
- Statement of Purpose: This two-page statement of purpose should outline educational and professional goals, philosophy and/or personal theatre aesthetic.
International19212 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9606 USD per semester during 36 months.
National19212 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9606 USD per semester during 36 months.
In-State10366 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5183 USD per semester during 36 months.
Living costs for Austin
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.