The Italian program of Rutgers University emphasizes language, literature, and culture.
Candidates for the M.A.T. must satisfactorily complete ten term courses (30 credits), including the completion of a teaching portfolio.
- Achieve mastery in reading and analyzing critically and creatively literary, cultural, and cinematic texts of the Italian tradition.
- Ability to teach Italian language, literature, and culture.
- Of the 30 course credits, 27 credits of coursework, must be chosen among courses in Italian literature, civilization, language, cinema, and methodology taken primarily at the Rutgers Summer World Languages Institute or in the Italian Department (with the permission of the Graduate Director) and a further 3 credits are assigned to the Teaching Portfolio.
- The 27 credits that are earned at the World Languages Institute should be distributed in the following fashion: 12 credits in literature and culture; 9 credits in language, grammar, and language across the curriculum; 3 credits in methodology; 3 elective credits.
- The majority of courses taken in the Italian Department should be in Italian. One of the courses may be a course taught in English, chosen in consultation with the Graduate Director.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature Teaching View 776 other Masters in Literature in United States
- All undergraduate and graduate academic transcripts;
- Three letters of recommendation from persons familiar with the applicant's work;
- A statement of purpose, indicating the applicant’s current academic interests and long-term goals;
- For students with American degrees, GRE scores;
- For international students, TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores;
- A writing sample, 1,500-2,000 words in length, demonstrating the applicant’s critical abilities (M.A. and Ph.D. applicants).
International30912 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15456 USD per semester during 12 months.
National30912 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15456 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State18180 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9090 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for New Brunswick
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.