About this Degree
- The Master of Fine Arts degree in Theatre Design and Technical Production at Tulane University places concentration and emphasis on design as a collaborative process with equal emphasis on technical and creative skills as learned both through classwork and practical production.
- The program is a three-year program. Two and a half years are spent in residence and one semester of the third year in an internship with a professional theatre. Students with an MA in design or production may, at the discretion of the faculty, complete their degree sooner. Normally, 48 hours of course work are required for completion of the degree. In addition, six hours are earned with the internship assignment and a thesis production.
- It is the philosophy of the design faculty that the design process is best taught through the realization of designs in actual production situations. Each year, the Department of Theatre and Dance provides a number of opportunities for such realized design projects.
- The department produces three to four mainstage productions and one dance concert each year directed by faculty or guest directors. Students in design and technical direction are assigned to these projects as their skills develop. The Third Year Thesis Project becomes the culmination of a number of realized projects.
- The selection of this production is intended to provide a showcase of each student's talents and skill. Each student's work is reviewed by the faculty on a semester-to-semester basis.
- Theatrical Drafting and Model Making
- Design Fundamentals
- Portfolio Techniques
- Period Styles for Designers
- Rendering for Designers
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesDesign Theatre & Dance Fine Arts View 331 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
- The GRE is no longer required.
- fill in the required information on all sections of the application
- upload a personal statement
- enter the names and requested contact information of three people who will submit (on-line) letters of academic and/or professional recommendation
- upload the most recent unofficial transcript from each university attended (for transcripts in a language other than English, please upload the original copy of a certified English translation with an explanation of the grading system)
- upload writing sample, if required by the department
International31622 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31622 USD per year during 36 months.
National31622 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31622 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for New Orleans
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.