To design modern efficient aircraft requires a complex combination of aerodynamic performance, lightweight durable structures and advanced systems engineering.
The Aerospace Vehicle Design - Aircraft Design programme offered by the Cranfield University aims to provide a comprehensive overview of whole aircraft configuration design as well as, structures and systems. You will learn to understand how to select and integrate specific systems such as fuel systems, and their effect on the aircraft as a whole.
We have been at the forefront of postgraduate education in aerospace engineering since 1946. Aerospace Vehicle Design at Cranfield University was one of the original foundation courses of the College of Aeronautics. Graduates of this course are eligible to join the Cranfield College of Aeronautics Alumni Association (CCAAA), an active community which hold a number of networking and social events throughout the year.
Cranfield University is well located for students from all over the world, and offers a range of library and support facilities to support your studies. This enables students from all over the world to complete this qualification whilst balancing work/life commitments.
This MSc is valued and respected by employers worldwide. The applied nature of this course ensures that our graduates are ready to be of immediate use to their future employer and has provided sufficient breadth of understanding of multi-discipline design to position them for accelerated career progression.
Graduates from this option have gone on to pursue engineering careers in disciplines such as structural design, stress analysis or systems design.
Many of our graduates occupy very senior positions in their organisations, making valuable contributions to the international aerospace industry. Typical student destinations include BAE Systems, Airbus, Dassault and Rolls-Royce.
The MSc in Aerospace Vehicle Design is accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS) & Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) as meeting the requirements for Further Learning for registration as a Chartered Engineer.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Examples in conceptual aircraft design topics:
- Aircraft configurations appropriate to hybrid-electric designs
- Design and testing of a bird like flapping wing ultra-light aircraft
- Design of a human powered helicopter
- Investigation in the numerical representation of damage on CFRP stiffened panels and behaviour under combined loading
- Delamination growth of carbon fibre composites under fatigue loads
- Experimental Testing and Numerical Analysis of Aircraft Bolt Jointed Sandwich Composites
- Systems/Structure design modifications to increase manufacture and assembly rates
- The development of a hypersonic air-breathing propulsion model and the sizing and integration of a propulsion concept
- Environmental control system for aircraft with variable fresh air
- The design of a propeller for an electric microlight aircraft
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Although there are no set application deadlines, we recommend that you apply as early as possible to secure your place.
DisciplinesAerospace Engineering Industrial Design General Engineering & Technology View 771 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A first or second class UK honours degree (or equivalent) in an engineering discipline. There is a limited opportunity for candidates with other qualifications to enter the course via a Pre-master's course, which provides the necessary level of knowledge of engineering principles applicable to aerospace design.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International24725 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24725 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11850 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Bedford
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.