As the academic backgrounds and personal/professional goals of each student will differ, we anticipate significant diversity in the programs of study in the M.S. degree and therefore do not prescribe a rigid set of courses as prerequisites or requirements though we would ordinarily anticipate that the majority of the credits are taken in chemistry and related subjects at suitably high levels.
The Chemistry and Chemical Biology program from Cornell University, is designed for those who wish to obtain further education in the field of chemical sciences broadly understood, and to develop their ability for critical inquiry, independent research, and teaching. Research-degree students are expected to give evidence of mature purpose by initiating and pursuing their own programs; as such the award of the MS degree is contingent upon the completion of a master’s research project documented through the preparation of an archive document presented to the student’s special committee and to the Graduate School.
- The Chemistry and Chemical Biology field expects MS students to obtain both breadth and depth in chemistry and related fields beyond that found in typical BA or BS programs.
- Typically we will expect that the individual program will emphasize basic courses as required to provide the essential basis of a chemistry but to provide the depth and rigor which exceeds an undergraduate major.
Programme StructureConcentrations by Subject
- analytical chemistry
- bio-organic chemistry
- biophysical chemistry
- chemical biology
- chemical physics
- inorganic chemistry
- organic chemistry
- organometallic chemistry
- physical chemistry
- polymer chemistry
- theoretical chemistry
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesChemistry Biology Biochemistry View 600 other Masters in Chemistry in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Letters of Recommendation: two (minimum); three (maximum)
- GRE scores are not required or accepted
- Personal Statement: one page statement required
- Writing Sample. There is no need to create a new piece of writing, and we would generally prefer not to receive an example of scientific writing. If you have any other sample of English writing--a history paper, an essay, a poem--of short length, that should be more than adequate.
- TOEFL or IELTS English proficiency test for international applicants
International29500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29500 USD per year during 12 months.
National29500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29500 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Ithaca
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.