Many methods of construction are highly resource intensive. They require energy, electricity and water, and generate landfill waste and CO2 emissions. With governments and the public becoming increasingly aware of dwindling global resources and becoming conscious of the importance of sustainability issues, there is a growing demand for professionals working in the built environment to be well-versed in environmental design.
What you'll study
Our MSc in Environmental Design of Buildings (Part time distance learning - 3 years) from Cardiff University aims to develop knowledge and expertise in the design of comfortable and healthy environments in and around buildings, regardless of climate, and with due regard to sustainability issues.
Full time, part-time and distance learning options (which are suitable for professionals working in the field) of this course are offered.
Students on this course frequently go back into their original profession with the advantage of having a new specialism in environmental and sustainable design. Following their completion of the course, some of our students with sufficient prior career experience have gained leading roles in their respective professions.
The programme has helped a large number of professionals to pursue a career in a broad range of sectors such as (but not limited to):
- Practice of architecture or engineering, with specialism in environmental design
- Consultancy (building environmental analysis and building performance evaluation)
- Academia (teaching and/or research)
- Policy (in the UK and abroad)
- Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE)
- Passive Design
- Climate Comfort and Energy
- Investigation of the Built Environment
- Earth and Society
- Environmental Design Application
- Low Carbon Buildings
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We allocate places on a first-come, first-served basis, so we recommend you apply as early as possible.
DisciplinesArchitecture Design Environmental Management View 40 other Masters in Design in United Kingdom
- a 2:1 honours degree in architecture, building services engineering, building technology, or environmental studies
- a university-recognised equivalent academic qualification
- or relevant professional experience evidenced by a reference.
- a signed and dated reference from an individual who is familiar with your work, either on an academic or professional basis. The reference should include information regarding how the referee knows you and for how long as well as their assessment of your skills, experience, work ethic, and suitability for this programme.
- a personal statement which includes your reasons for studying this programme and any experience with issues related to the design of sustainable, comfortable, and healthy environments within your previous studies or professional career.
International7816 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7816 GBP per year during 36 months.
National3400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3400 GBP per year during 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.