The MSc MSc Social Science Research Methods (Environmental Planning) Part time from Cardiff University will provide you with advanced training in research methods across the full range of the social sciences. All course pathways have ESRC recognition and meet the training requirements for ESRC PhD funding.
This programme offers extensive opportunities for interdisciplinary study, the application of social research expertise for occupational career development, and the pursuit of substantive area of interest at postgraduate level.
You’ll be provided with a thorough theoretical and practical knowledge of how to construct effective research studies, of the variety of data collection methods available to the social scientist and of the principal methods of analysing social scientific data. You’ll also be introduced to the political and ethical frameworks within which social science research is conducted, and to some of the ways in which the results of social science research are disseminated.
Environmental Planning pathway
Take the opportunity to study an area of Environmental Planning best suited to your personal interests, such as sustainable transport policies, planning for sustainability, or sustainable food systems.
You will benefit from the leading role the School of Geography and Planning plays in academic and policy debates at national and international levels with research-led teaching that inspires students to critically engage with the challenges facing our world. Supervised by experts in the field you’ll be encouraged to explore the seminars and events offered by our diverse Research Groups.
This programme provides knowledge and expertise suitable for careers in research and development, business, market studies, public agencies at international, national and local levels, education, teaching and other public services work, and voluntary organisations.
It also provides appropriate training for proceeding to a PhD.
- Developing Core Research Skills
- Environmental Management
- Environmental Policy and Climate Change
- Planning for Sustainability
- Debates in Eco-City Planning and Development
- Foundations of Social Science Research
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
If you submit an application after this date, we will only consider it if places are still available.
DisciplinesSociology Environmental Management Urban Planning View 205 other Masters in Environmental Management in United Kingdom
- A good first degree or a recognised equivalent qualification. Non-graduates will be considered if they can demonstrate, through some recent and relevant professional experience, that they have the ability to undertake the course.
- This course is suitable for graduates in social science and cognate disciplines including sociology, politics, critical psychology, education, social policy and social work, criminology, management and business studies, history, area studies, geography, pedagogy, public administration, industrial and employee relations, and law.
International9350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9350 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4100 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Cardiff
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.