The MSc Social Science Research Methods (Educational Studies) Part time programme from Cardiff University will provide you with advanced training in research methods across the full range of the social sciences. All course pathways have ESRC recognition and meet the training requirements for ESRC PhD funding.
This programme offers extensive opportunities for interdisciplinary study, the application of social research expertise for occupational career development, and the pursuit of substantive area of interest at postgraduate level.
You’ll be provided with a thorough theoretical and practical knowledge of how to construct effective research studies, of the variety of data collection methods available to the social scientist and of the principal methods of analysing social scientific data. You’ll also be introduced to the political and ethical frameworks within which social science research is conducted, and to some of the ways in which the results of social science research are disseminated.
Research training in Education builds on the internationally recognised research carried out by our academic staff. You’ll benefit from this specialist expertise in education research, as well as from our interdisciplinary profile within the Social Sciences.
You will be encouraged to attend and participate in the activities of our Education Research Group, which holds regular programmes of meetings providing opportunities to share ideas and discuss issues in the policy and practice of education-related research.
This programme provides knowledge and expertise suitable for careers in research and development, business, market studies, public agencies at international, national and local levels, education, teaching and other public services work, and voluntary organisations.
It also provides appropriate training for proceeding to a PhD.
- Developing Core Research Skills
- Foundations of Social Science Research
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Quantitative Research Methods
- Research Applications
- Debates in Educational Research
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Sociology View 551 other Masters in Sociology in United Kingdom
- Applicants should normally hold a first or upper second-class undergraduate degree in a humanities or social sciences subject. However, other applicants will be considered if they can demonstrate, through recent and relevant experience, that they have the ability to undertake the course.
- Applicants whose first language is not English are required to obtain a minimum overall IELTS score of 6.5 with at least 6.5 in writing, and at least 5.5 in all other sub-sections.
- This course is suitable for graduates in social science and cognate disciplines including sociology, politics, critical psychology, education, social policy and social work, criminology, management and business studies, history, area studies, geography, pedagogy, public administration, industrial and employee relations, and law.
International9350 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9350 GBP per year during 36 months.
National4100 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4100 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Cardiff
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.