The Primary Education (5 - 11 years) programme from University of Birmingham Dubai will include key elements delivered by staff from the University of Birmingham in Dubai supported by senior teachers in schools. It is designed to help you plan, teach and develop your classroom skills within the primary age range. Time within our teacher training programme will be spent developing necessary subject knowledge in English, Mathematics and Science alongside consideration of whole school issues such as supporting classroom behaviour.
Designed for those who are new to education and want to teach pupils aged 5-11, our full time Primary PGCE with iQTS is the only in-person ITT (Initial Teacher Training) programme in the UAE in line with UK Teacher Standards, incorporting two teaching experience placements across our established partner schools.
The Primary PGCE programme with iQTS is suited to those living outside of the UK and resident in the UAE, including:
- UK citizens currently working abroad who wish to start teacher training or develop their teaching career.
- Non-UK citizens who wish to begin teacher training or build on existing teaching experience.
- UK and non-UK teachers without QTS who wish to improve their employability in England and internationally with a UK government-backed and approved professional qualification.
Your University of Birmingham qualification is evidence of your ability to succeed in a demanding academic environment. Employers target Birmingham students for their drive, diversity, communication and problem-solving skills, their team-working abilities and cultural awareness, and our graduate employment statistics have continued to climb at a rate well above national trends.
- The Primary PGCE with iQTS will mirror the experience of the UK PGCE QTS programme, providing a mixture of assessed practical input and experience, Masters level academic input and a portfolio record of teaching experience, assesed through competency accross the UK Teachers’ Standards and Core Content Framework.
- The 60 credit M-level teaching qualification is composed of three 20 credit modules, including a Teaching Experience module. PGCE Primary with iQTS trainees will undertake assessed placements across our network of partner schools and will be supported for the duration of the course by a trained mentor within their school setting.
To apply for the PGCE Primary with iQTS (5-11) programme you must submit evidence of:
- a bachelor’s degree at grade 2.2, or equivalent, from a UK or non-UK university
- achieving a standard equivalent to grade 4 in GCSE mathematics
- achieving a standard equivalent to grade 4 in a GCSE science (biology, chemistry or physics) subject
- deemed suitable to train to teach in England and in the country in which you will train to teach (passing a range of relevant background checks including an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service 'DBS' check in the UK).
- Two references (from previous employers and/or your University if you have only recently graduated) confirming your suitability to train to teach and work with children.
International24503 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24503 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
National24503 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24503 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Dubai
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.