What you will study
The goal of this GIS and Remote Sensing MSc programme offered at University of Peradeniya is to provide opportunity for the participants, a critical understanding and competence in developing systems and tools for the acquisition, processing, transformation, analysis, storage, presentation and use of geo-spatial information. In addition, skills are developed to enable the participants to design and undertake research and development projects in various fields and also to actively engage in multidisciplinary research and development projects.
GIS and RS are rapidly evolving towards becoming standard tools, influencing everyday decision- making particularly among professionals. Even though this has been described as “Geoinformatics” by some of the professionals, the Postgraduate Institute of Science decided to name it as “GIS and Remote Sensing” due to its popularity. As a multi-disciplinary programme, it includes courses in Geographical Information System, Remote sensing, numerical methods and algorithms in RS and GIS, Digital photogrammetry, GPS and its applications, digital image processing. In addition, there are courses in application of GIS in various disciplines such as Earth Sciences, Land use planning, Disaster Management, Natural resources Management, Agriculture, Forestry, Wild life, Transportation and supply net work, Transmission and Telecommunication network will be included. The programme is designed for the students to use computers throughout the programme, enabling them to use the latest software available in the fields of GIS and Remote Sensing.
The programme includes a dissertation component and the students are required to select a suitable research topic in any of the fields mentioned above and submit a research report in the form of a dissertation. In this connection, the students are free to select an institution of their choice to conduct the research study. The Postgraduate Institute of Science would also help the students to find suitable institutions and topics for their research.
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Remote Sensing and Aerial Photography
- Database Management Systems
- GPS and its Applications
- Space Technology
- Advanced Technologies in GIS
- Advanced Mapping Technology
- Digital Photogrammetry
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
60 with research (MSc)
DisciplinesGeography Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Computer Sciences View 5 other Masters in Computer Sciences in Sri Lanka
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- This programme is designed to suit professionals and young graduates who do not have any previous experience in the use of GIS or Remote Sensing. Candidates should have a strong background in at least one of the following subject areas: Computer science, Physical and Biological Sciences, Earth and Natural Sciences, Geography, Agriculture, Surveying, Engineering, Medicine or any other discipline that will be endorsed by the Board of Study in Earth Sciences of the PGIS.
- The candidates who are employed and eligible for admission need to produce evidence of leave granted to follow the programme and a letter of release from the relevant Head of the Department/Institution.
International2010 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2010 USD per year during 12 months.
National1005 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1005 USD per year during 12 months.
- National 1 year: LKR200,000
- National 2 years: LKR230,000 ($1,156)
- International 1 year: LKR400,000
- International 2 years: LKR460,000 ($2,311)
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.