- The Library Archival And Information Studies programme is offered at the University Of Ibadan.
- Library and Information Science is interpreted in its widest sense to include publishing and other means of acquiring, organising and disseminating information. Thus, programmes in the Department contain courses in publishing as foundations or background knowledge for librarians, archivists and information scientists. Thus far, no highly articulated professional /academic Master degree programme in publishing and copyright studies exists in any Nigerian university or other institutions of higher education in West Africa.
- The Department has highly qualified staff made up of some of the leading professional and academic publishers, and information scholars in Africa. It has a state-of-art laboratory with ICTs, a Departmental library and other relevant and supporting facilities such as a well equipped Word Processing (W.P.), Desk Top Publishing (DTP), Scanning and Image generating sophisticated technological facilities.
- Formerly Institute of Librarianship was founded in 1959, under the auspices of the University Library. It became a member of the Faculty of Education in 1965 as the Department of Library Studies. It offers courses at the Sub-degree Diploma and Bachelor's degree levels in Library and Information Studies. It also offers Masters and higher programmes in Library, Publishing, Archives, Records Management and Information Studies.
- It organizes workshops and vacation courses on librarianship, publishing, archives, records management and other related fields. It also undertakes consultancy and advisory services to universities, colleges of education and governmental and non-governmental organizations. The name of the department was broadened to be Department of Library, Archival and Information Studies with effect from 1986/87 session to reflect specializations within the Department.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Candidates for admission to higher degree programmes shall normally be graduates of the University of Ibadan or other Universities/Institutions recognised by the Senate. Admission shall be made by the Postgraduate College on the recommendation of the appropriate Faculty Postgraduate Committee.
- Candidates without any previous higher degrees in the relevant discipline may be admitted only to either the Degree of Master or the Professional Degree of Master.
- Candidates with recognised “Research Higher” Degree in the relevant discipline may be admitted to the M.Phil or Ph.D. degree programmes as appropriate, on the recommendation of the appropriate Faculty Postgraduate Committee.
- Where, in respect of an otherwise eligible candidate with a higher degree, a firm recommendation for admission to the Ph.D. degree programme cannot be made, a Faculty may recommend that a candidate be admitted provisionally to the programme pending an assessment report.
International3500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3500 USD per year during 24 months.
National2500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2500 USD per year during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.