This Master of Education in Special Education (MSED) at Vancouver Island University is offered as a part-time online Master program or full-time in-person cohort, making it flexible and accessible for practicing teachers to undertake their Master's of Education while working.
The Special Education Master’s program is designed as a highly experiential learning environment. Graduate students are able to personalize their learning and build meaningful connections with the school communities they live and work in.
This program incorporates a blended online an on campus model. Generally classes meet on campus in Nanaimo during July and online during the Fall and Spring semesters.
This cohort-based model is designed for students wishing to study full-time on the VIU campus. All formal coursework is completed over two semesters. The Field Inquiry and Major Project components are completed during the second year over two semesters. Students may complete these components with online support and can complete up to one semester early.
Domestic graduates of this program will be well-poised to assume Special Education positions at the school and district level. School districts in British Columbia report great difficulty in recruiting qualified Special Education teachers.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Critical Issues in Special Education
- Development and Exceptionality in Human Learning
- Teacher as Researcher in Special Education
- Individual Assessment & Intervention Planning
- Field Inquiry
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , National
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Special Education View 140 other Masters in Education in Canada
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completion of a Bachelor's degree with a cumulative grade point average of "B" in the final two years.
- A record of at least two years of successful teaching is preferred.
- Two current, confidential assessment reports.
- A letter of intent explaining why the applicant wishes to pursue graduate work in this area.
- Applicants whose previous degree was obtained in a country where English is not the primary/official language and from a university where English was not the language of instruction must meet one of VIU’s English Language requirements for Graduate Programs.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International26316 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26316 CAD per year during 24 months.
National17419 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17419 CAD per year during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.