Discover the Department of Classical Languages by applying to the Greek and Roman Studies MA programme at University of Peradeniya
- The Department of Western Classics which taught the subjects of Greek and Latin was one of the earliest Departments of the Faculty of Arts of the University College when university education began in Sri Lanka. At this time a very large number read Greek and Latin and many of those joined the Civil Administrative Service of the Island and served with exceptional record. With the raising of the status of the University College to that of an independent university in Colombo (1947) the Classics continued to read widely though numbers reduced due to the emergence of new disciplines.
- In the time to come, the Department of Classical Languages aims to expand the scope of its Degree & non-Degree programs and to strengthen its graduates with more specific skills requisite for meeting the current trends within and beyond academia. The niche-market for the graduates in Classical Languages itself has been the drive for the Department to keep preserving and nourishing its faculty and students.
- Advanced Greek/ Latin
- Greek Political Thought
- Roman Political Thought
- Classical Historiography
- Greek Pottery and Vase Painting
- Early Greek Poetry
- Women in Classical Antiquity
- Music in the Ancient World
- Hellenistic Poetry
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor’s Degree (Special) with Honours in the relevant subject;
- A Bachelors’ (General/ Combined) degree with minimum 30 credits from the relevant subject area with a minimum of average B grade or equivalent grade point in the relevant subject area;
- A Bachelor’s degree in any discipline and a Postgraduate Diploma in the relevant subject area;
- Any other equivalent qualification acceptable to the relevant Board of Study
- certified copies of certificates (e.g. Birth Certificate, degree or other higher educational certificates, etc.)
- two copies of recent passport size photograph
- service letter/s (if required) in the given format
- two referee reports preferably from academics/mentors/supervisors/senior government officers/head of institution in the given format
- synopsis of proposed research (if applying for a research degree)
- payment slip of Application Fee (Local: Rs. 1000/-, Foreign: US$ 25/-)
International1915 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1915 USD per year during 12 months.
National255 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 255 USD per year during 12 months.
- National: LKR92,000
- SAARC Countries and clergy: $1,615
- Non-SAARC Countries: $1,915
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.