Statistics, as a discipline, drives data science, and provides systematic ways for scholars from all fields to collect, summarize, model, and interpreting the data, basing their decisions on these analyses and their associated computational methods. Probability theory is a branch of mathematics used to develop and analyze various aspects of statistical models guided by practical aspects of computation and scientific interpretability.
At the Data Science programme from Michigan State University in the past 20 years, statistics and probability enabled great strides to be made in the physical, biological, social, and agricultural sciences, and in engineering and business. Statistics and probability are also areas of theoretical and basic methodological research, as self-standing intellectual endeavors which are part of the mathematical and computational sciences.
- Foundations of Data Science
- Computational Optimization
- Big Data Analysis
- Data Mining
- Mathematical Statistics for Data Scientists
- Applied Statistical Modeling for Data Scientists
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics Statistics Data Science & Big Data View 449 other Masters in Data Science & Big Data in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Have a four-year bachelor’s degree in a relevant quantitative discipline.
- Demonstrate sufficient quantitative preparation through work or other relevant experiences.
- Completion of a 3-credit capstone course involving an applied, industrial, or governmental data science project. Students may complete this requirement by enrollment in Computer Science and Engineering 890, Computational Mathematics, Science, and Engineering 890, or Statistics and Probability 890. The student’s topic area must be approved by the student’s guidance committee.
- Completion of a final examination or evaluation.
International28900 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28900 USD per year during 12 months.
National28900 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28900 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State14710 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14710 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for East Lansing
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.