The Translation Studies programme from University of Glasgow offers ten different advanced languages, and provides an excellent platform to become a professional translator as well as the essential theoretical foundation to progress to research at doctoral level.
Why This Programme
- The programme balances Translation studies theory with practical translation work, meaning you will develop both academic and professional skills, preparing you for the translation profession or PhD research in the field.
- You will study SDL Trados translation software and hence can complete the MSc with SDL Trados certification.
- We offer translation classes in a wide range of languages including Catalan, Czech, French, German, Italian, Mandarin, Polish, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.
- You will have access to our excellent technical resources and to our well-stocked library with over 10,000 items including the latest books, multimedia, audio and video language learning materials, language databases and resources.
- The MSc is highly flexible and offers the opportunity to tailor the programme to your specialist interests or skills.
- The workshop and seminar series is second to none, with masterclasses from multi-award-winning translators, presentations from world-renowned scholars and discussion forums with newly qualified freelancers, providing you with plenty of opportunities to network with experts in the field.
- The small classes mean you develop new skills very quickly whilst working closely with Translation Studies and language scholars pursuing cutting-edge research.
- Within the strong postgraduate community, you will work in a well established international research environment, which supports a wide range of activities including a research seminar series on a range of topics relevant to Translation studies, and an annual postgraduate conference.
Driven by the global economy, the last decade or so has seen a massive growth in demand for expert, specialist translators. You will develop the skills required to work in the industry as well as essential information about setting up as a freelance translator or working for a translation agency.
You will acquire skills relevant to a variety of careers that may involve translation or require advanced language and communication skills. These include:
- Marketing and public relations
- Careers in writing, including publishing, journalism or technical communication
- Language teaching
- International commerce
- Government work
- The creative industries, including TV, film, theatre
More informationVisit official programme website
- Translation Studies in Theory and Practice
- Approaches to Translation and the Professional Environment
- Advanced Translation and Language Study (translation between English and at least one other language)
- Marketing and Translation across Media
- Literary Translation Studies
- Subtitling Film and TV
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- MSc: 180
- PgDip: 120
- PgCert: 60
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Translation & Interpreting View 98 other Masters in Translation & Interpreting in United Kingdom
- Applicants should normally have a 2.1 Honours degree or an equivalent qualification in French, Spanish (Castilian), Russian, Italian, Portuguese, German, Polish, Czech or Catalan or a cognate discipline and be a native speaker of English.
- You should also be able to demonstrate competence in a second language equivalent to European Common Framework C1.
- Alternatively, you can be a native speaker of one of the languages listed above, in which case you should have a 2.1 Honours degree or an equivalent in English or a cognate discipline, and be able to demonstrate a high level of English proficiency as described below.
International18370 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18370 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA8500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8500 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
- Home/EU PartTime: £944 per 20 credits
- FullTime: £5667
- FullTime: £12247
- FullTime: £2833
- FullTime: £6123
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.