The overall objectives of the MPhil are:
The Global and Area Studies course at the University of Oxford is structured around six study components, facilitating an interdisciplinary approach to comparative study across two or more regions and a critical approach to area studies.
Courses are taught through a combination of lectures and classes. You will be required to submit essays and make class presentations. Through a Research Methods element, you will receive relevant training in methodologies to enable you to carry out research and writing for your 30,000 word thesis. The thesis is expected to incorporate a global or comparative area studies approach and/or to address key cross-region global challenges from an area studies perspective.
The six study components are:
- Theories and Approaches in Global and Area Studies;
- Comparative Area Studies;
- Research Methods for Social Sciences and Humanities;
- Area Studies immersion;
- Specialist Area Studies Options;
- Comparative Area Studies Research Thesis
- 21 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies General Studies & Classics View 116 other Masters in General Studies & Classics in United Kingdom
As a minimum, applicants should hold or be predicted to achieve the equivalent of the following UK qualifications:
- a first-class or strong upper second-class undergraduate degree with honours in any subject or discipline, although preference may be given to candidates who have studied previously in either the social sciences or the humanities
- For applicants with a degree from the USA, the minimum GPA sought is 3.7 out of 4.0.
International28560 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28560 GBP per year during 21 months.
National23850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23850 GBP per year during 21 months.
Living costs for Oxford
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.