About this Degree
As in other branches of applied mathematics and engineering, improvements in the practice of programming require determined and meticulous application of methods of mathematical understanding, calculation and proof.
Recognising this, this full-time, twelve-month MSc has been designed to teach the mathematical principles of specification, design and efficient implementation of both software and hardware.
The MSc in Advanced Computer Science at the University of Oxford is designed to combine theory and practice. It teaches the advanced techniques and ideas that are being developed in application domains (such as machine learning, verification and computer security) and the rich and diverse theories that underpin them. These include models of computation and data, and mathematical analysis of programs and algorithms.
The course aims:
- to provide a foundation for research into the theory and practice of programming and the design of computer-based systems;
- to present knowledge, experience, reasoning methods and design and implementation techniques that are robust and forward-looking;
- to provide the foundation for a professional career in the computing-based industries, including telecommunications, process control, business-, mission-, and safety-critical fields; and
- to enhance the skills of a professional who is already working in one of these industries.
Examples of modules offered:
- Advanced Security
- Advanced Topics in Machine Learning
- Quantum Computer Science
- Categories, Proofs and Processes
- Computational Complexity
- Database Systems Implementation
- Computational Learning Theory
- Probabilistic Model Checking
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesComputer Sciences Web Technologies & Cloud Computing Machine Learning View 662 other Masters in Computer Sciences in United Kingdom
As a minimum, applicants should hold or be predicted to achieve the equivalent of the following UK qualifications:
- a first-class undergraduate degree with honours in computer science or mathematics
- For applicants with a degree from the USA, the minimum GPA sought is 3.7 out of 4.0.
- It is vital that you possess the necessary background to cope with mathematical notation and basic skills in computer programming. Applicants should have carried out some programming projects either in employment or study, potentially including self-directed study. There are no specific programming languages that are prioritised but it is important that you have engaged with the task of coding and implementing algorithms.
- You are not required to submit publications with your application, but if you do have publications please give details.
International29160 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29160 GBP per year during 12 months.
National12830 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12830 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Oxford
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.