The MA in General Psychology at the The City University of New York is designed for students to acquire knowledge in research methods and topics in psychology, or who need to enhance their background and credentials either for the job market, or to advantage themselves in applying to doctoral programs.
Courses include about 15-25 students, and are usually in the form of seminars. After completing the program’s first semester, students may take up to 40% of their coursework at other CUNY branches, including doctoral courses offered through the Graduate Center.
Students in the Master’s Program in General Psychology have two choices for completing the degree:
- Without a Thesis
This option involves intensive coursework and requires students to complete a total of 40 credits to graduate.
- With a Thesis
This option involves research-intensive thesis experience and requires students to complete a total of 31 credits to graduate.
- The American Psychological Association’s booklet, Psychology: Careers for the Twenty-first Century, reports that most professionals with a terminal master’s degree handle research and data collection and analysis in universities, government and private companies. Others find jobs in health, industry and education, the primary work settings for psychology professionals with master’s degrees.
- Government and industry positions in personnel and in mental health are often filled by persons with master’s degrees in psychology. Workers with their Master’s degree usually work under the supervision of a doctoral level psychologist, especially in clinical, counseling, school and testing and measurement psychology.
- Take PSY V0100: Advanced Experimental Psychology I (4 credits | 2 lec. + 4 lab hr./wk.).
- Take PSY V0500: Statistical Methods in Psychology I (3 credits | 2 rec. + 2 lab hr./wk.)
- Take one course from the following areas: Cognition, Neuroscience, Psycholinguistics, Psychometrics, Psychopharmacology, and Sleep.
- Thesis students are required to enroll in PSY B9900 Psychological Research and Seminar, for which 3 credits are received, with no grade, until completion of the thesis project.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
Without a Thesis - 40 credits
With a Thesis - 31 credits
DisciplinesPsychology Statistics View 1101 other Masters in Psychology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Personal statement
- Two letters of recommendation (at least one letter should be academic)
- Transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended
- TOEFL/IELTS tests and scores
- GRE score
- Application Fee
International26505 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
National26505 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
- Full-time - $5,545/semester
- Part-time - $470/credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.