The core of their training is provided in weekly private lessons, repertoire classes, performing ensembles (orchestra, opera studio, etc.), and chamber music. To complement their rigorous training in performance, students of the MM in Classical Performance from The City University of New York are also expected to develop their analytical and writing skills, with the purpose of training well-rounded, intelligent musicians who are at the same time outstanding performers.
The following examinations must be passed during the course of study:
- Theory Qualifying Exam, covering music theory and musicianship, must be taken before registering for the first semester. Each of the examination's four parts (harmonization, sight singing, dictation, and keyboard harmony) must be passed before graduation. Those students who fail in any part of the exam will consult the Graduate Advisor for coursework or other recommended study.
- History Qualifying Exam, covering the history of Western music, must be taken before registering for their first semester. Those who need further work in this area will consult the Graduate Advisor for coursework or other recommended study.
- An examination in foreign-language musical terms.
- Writing about Music
- Individual Musical Performance
- Musical Analysis for Performers
- Thesis (a complete recital accompanied by a written document)
- Chamber Music
- Survey of Repertory
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Music Performance View 1113 other Masters in Music in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- An undergraduate degree with a major in music (or its equivalent).
- An audition on the major instrument or voice. Auditions are held at the college each semester on the major instrument or voice. A short (30-minute) examination in basic music theory is administered on the day of the audition. Submit an audition request form to the Aaron Copland School of Music Office. Visit their website to obtain audition request form and audition requirements.
- International students are required to take the TOEFL with a minimum score of 79 or the IELTS with a minimum score of 6. Provisional acceptance is available if the TOEFL score is between 75 and 79, or the IELTS score is between 5.5 and 6.
Applications are considered in the following areas:
- Classical Guitar
International15390 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 24 months.
National15390 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 24 months.
- Full-time - $5,545/semester
- Part-time - $470/credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.