The MLS/MA in Library Science and History from The City University of New York offers students the opportunity to develop skills in the methodologies of both library science, including archival and special collections management, and historical research.
Graduates of the program will receive two degrees, one in the Master of Library Science and the other in the Master of Arts in History, and will be well suited for professional careers in academic libraries, museums, oral history initiatives, document conservation, and public or private archives, and for admission into Ph.D. programs in either History or Library Science.
The 54-credit program can be completed in three years of full-time study and up to six years for part-time study. The first several semesters should focus on the coursework requirements for both GSLIS and History. Students should consult advisors in either department in selecting courses that are relevant for their research and career goals.
As part of their elective coursework, they are strongly encouraged to consider internships at local archives, museums, academic libraries, or other relevant institutions, for which either GSLIS or History credit will be awarded. Students may also consider the GSLIS certificate program in Archives Management in conjunction with the joint degree.
- The Technology of Information
- Fundamentals of Library and Information Science
- Information Sources and Service: General
- Research in Library and Information Studies
- Research and Writing
- 36 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLibrary Science History View 773 other Masters in History in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A personal statement, in the form of a cover letter (approximately 500 words in length), explaining how the applicant’s past work has led them to the MLS/MA program, and their professional objectives following completion.
- An interview is required for admission, and applicants will be contacted after the committee has read their materials.
- Deadlines may be extended further if spaces remain in the program
- Letters of Reference - 3
International15390 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 36 months.
National15390 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 36 months.
- Full-time - $5,545/semester
- Part-time - $470/credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.