This Master of Science in Education (MSEd) in Science and Bilingual Education (7-12) program at The City University of New York is designed for students who have attained an initial certification in Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, or Physics (grades 7-12) and are themselves proficient in a Language Other Than English (LOTE) who wish to gain professional certification as secondary science teachers as well as a bilingual extension.
The 33-credit course of study required leads to professional certification in either Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, or Physics (grades 7-12) as well as the New York State Bilingual Extension (7-12). A total of 50 hours of fieldwork experience is required.
- The program provides coursework in education, science education and bilingual education as well as guided field experiences to prepare these teachers for the special challenges of teaching science to English language learners who are bilinguals in mainstream as well as bilingual classrooms.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Languages Natural Sciences View 3375 other Masters in Education in United States
- The Master of Science in Education (MSED) Program is for students who already hold an initial certificate in a secondary science teaching discipline and who wish to pursue advanced studies in education. Graduates from this program gain an advanced certification and a MSED degree.
- A bachelor’s degree in science or science education from an accredited college or university.
- At least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average in science and secondary education courses.
- New York State Initial Certificate in a science discipline at the secondary level (7-12) Bilingual proficiency: Applicants must demonstrate satisfactory proficiency in a language other than English (LOTE) that they are seeking the extension.
- Results of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) General Test are required.
International25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
National25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
- Full-time - $5,545/semester
- Part-time - $470/credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.