The Department of English and Foreign Languages has implemented a teaching-learning process that involves more participation by students. The classroom transaction is interactive, significantly departing from the teacher -tell-it-all modes. The students, instead, will do the course, learning how they learn. And by this exercise, the students are expected to become effective monitors of their learning. The pedagogy comprises training the students in capturing, storing, accessing, sharing, creating and applying knowledge.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)The English Literature MA programme offered at Bharathiar University will enable the students to:
- Revive and sustain an academic interest in literary and cultural studies
- Foster a research culture in literature, that will enhance reading and creativity
- Experience in relevant literary models, techniques or critical methods and ability to contribute to developing new ones
- Research aptitude in Literary Studies and demonstrated ability to work independently
- Potential to assess resource requirements and use it effectively
- Capacity to design and develop communicative measures and training programmes
- Contribute to the Discipline specific and Interdisciplinary skills
- Record of excellent academic and creative writing skills
- Manage textual data and maintain reading records
- Participate in Translation studies and Interpretation, Literary Academia, Media
- Specialties, Digital Content Writing, Public Relations, Script Writing, CopyEditing and Publishing.
Program Outcomes (POs)On successful completion of the M. A. English Literature program:
- To shift the focus of literary acquisition from literary to social and interpretative perspectives
- To familiarize with literary theories and criticism
- To acquaint with research methodologies in English literature
- To reflect on literary theories and practice discourse analysis
- To frame interpretative modes of literature and narratives in digital context
- To prioritize reflective competence over the content mastery and rote learning
- To use language laboratories and digital studios to correlate databases, develop apps and software
- To undertake close reading and identify literary elements of seminal texts
- To extend beyond basic comprehension of a literature, and thereby evaluate and appraise its themes, motifs, characters, and structure
- To be authentically creative and critical, and thereby pursue original knowledge in the subject area
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Chaucer and the Elizabethan Age
- The Neo-Classical Age
- The Romantic Age and The Victorian Age
- Studies through Contemporary Films
- Language and Linguistics
- American Literature
- Indian Literature in English
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Literature View 34 other Masters in Language Studies in India
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A Pass in B.A. English / any UG Degree with 4 Papers of Part II English.
- The candidates have to pay the Registration Fee of Rs.400/- through net banking / Debit / Credit Cards/DD/NEFT. SC/ST candidates have to pay only Rs.200/- provided they have to produce a photo copy of his/her community certificate. The online filled in application form shall be completed in all respects and the soft copy can be downloaded. Those who are making online payment need not send the hard copy of the application.
- The application may be filled online at https://admissions.b-u.ac.in the guidelines for filling up the online application is available at www.b-u.ac.in
International375 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 750 USD for the full programme during 24 months.
- National tuition fee: INR2,640/semester ($35)
Living costs for Coimbatore
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.