About Literary Translation at The University of Iowa
Translators in the program focus on creating works that can convey the distinctness of the original languages and the immediacy of contemporary languages, whether poetry, fiction, or drama. Students consider ideas of literariness, style, cultural politics, authority, and how these come into play in the relationships between authors and their texts, authors and translators, translations and readers, and in the media landscapes in which these circulate.
- Translation workshop
- The craft of translation
- Writing arts/creative writing
- issues in translation
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLiterature Translation & Interpreting View 810 other Masters in Literature in United States
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive an email instructing you on how to upload your supporting documents and submit letters of recommendation. A few programs require materials be sent directly to them. However, almost all supplemental material can and should be uploaded from your Admissions Profile in MyUI, our online service center for applicants and students.
- A portfolio with samples of translated work (be sure to provide originals)
- A statement of purpose
- The departmental Supplemental Application Form
International29739 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29739 USD per year during 12 months.
National31012 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31012 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12065 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12065 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.