With this Adapted Physical Education MSc program offered at University of South Carolina, you will be able to support all children, with and without disabilities, and maximize learning in psychomotor, cognitive and affective domains in a general physical education setting.
Additionally, you will be qualified to seek the Certified Adapted Physical Educator certificate required to be an adapted physical educator in some states or seek an Adapted Physical Education add-on endorsement or certificate if it is available in your state.
What will I study?
- You will acquire the knowledge, tools, and support needed to feel confident teaching students of varying abilities in your general classrooms.
- In alignment with the current Adapted Physical Education National Standards, the goals of the program emphasize enabling you to successfully include students with disabilities in general classrooms and to maximize learning outcomes for all children, with and without disabilities, in all SHAPE America Grade-Level Outcomes.
- You will not be on your own as you complete this program. You will have ongoing support from your faculty advisor and a dedicated student services staff in the College of Education. You will also connect and interact with your instructors and classmates from around the country through innovative instructional methods. Even though you may not be on campus, you will be part of a dynamic and connected learning community.
What kind of work will I be able to do?
- This program will enable you to find jobs including general or itinerant adapted physical educators in elementary or secondary PK-12 settings. Furthermore, our graduates are well-prepared to coach general or adapted sporting teams/athletes and contribute to the holistic education of school-aged children, ensuring all students find personal meaning and enrichment.
- If you amass 200 hours of contact time teaching physical education to children with disabilities, you can sit for the Certified Adapted Physical Educator exam (a requirement in certain states). Contact your states’ Department of Education to see if our course work qualifies for “add-on” endorsements or certificates. Students in South Carolina may take courses for continuing education as they see fit.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Adapted Physical Education, Activity, and Sport
- Universal Design for Learning in General Physical Education
- Practicum in Adapted Physical Education
- Theories and Principles of Motor Learning and Control: Applications for Adapted Physical Education
- Theories and Principles of Growth and Motor Behavior: Applications to Adapted Physical Education
- Action Research Project in Adapted Physical Education
- Measurement and Research in Physical Education
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Teaching Sports Sciences View 487 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- Official Transcripts
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- Personal Statement
International17160 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 572 USD per credit during 12 months.
National17160 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 572 USD per credit during 12 months.
- South Carolina certified teachers: $515 Per Credit Hour
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.