The M.S.Ed. in Reading-Writing-Literacy program at the University of Pennsylvania prepares students as practitioners, researchers, and policy makers in educational settings that include K-12 schools, colleges and universities, community-based literacy programs, educational publishing, and government programs. Four principles guide the program:
- Literacy and language are studied from the sociopolitical, cultural, psychological, historical, linguistic, and literary perspectives;
- The program is inquiry-based, intended to raise questions about the relationships among theory, research, policy, and practice while encouraging students to build their own theories of research and practice;
- It focuses on diversity and on urban settings and the contexts of different schools, communities, families, and cultures; and
- The program is committed to educational change, recognizing that educational institutions are sites in which to work for social justice, equity, and transformation.
- Literature for Children and Adolescents
- Assessing Language and Learning Differences
- Tutorial Work in Reading/Writing/Literacy
- Digital Literacies in a Networked World
- Theories and Pedagogies of Teaching Writing
- Picturebooks and the Practice of Literacy
- Teaching Reading and Study in Colleges and Universities
- Adult Literacy
- Literacy, Discourse, and Interaction
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing Literacy Education View 385 other Masters in Creative Writing in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Statement of Purpose:
In 750 words or less, address the factors that have encouraged you to seek an education from Penn GSE. You may also wish to address your background, significant personal and professional experiences related to your program of study, important aspects of your academic record, and your professional goals upon completion of your desired program.
A current résumé/CV is required.
- Letters of Recommendation Required: 3
- Transcripts: Transcript(s) from prior undergraduate and graduate institution(s) are required.
International55552 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27776 USD per semester during 12 months.
National55552 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27776 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Philadelphia
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.