- Our curriculum emphasizes innovation in architectural design with material significance through a sequence that moves from design research to fabrication.
- The purpose of the MSD-AAD is four-fold: 1) To prepare students for high level contemporary design research in the profession or academy 2) To develop skills in emerging design techniques and cross-disciplinary tools 3) To foster critical engagement with technology in conversation with contemporary architectural discourse and theory 4) To integrate advanced digital modeling techniques in a design methodology that has direct bearing on material production, fabrication, and construction processes and aesthetics.
- The Architecture - Advanced Architectural Design program at the University of Pennsylvania begins with a mandatory ten-day workshop in design technique to build a foundation of shared skills. A coordinated semester of advanced architectural design and complementary courses in theory and design innovation follow. In the second term, students select a design studio and seminar within the focus of the program from the wide range of courses offered by the Weitzman School of Design, and they receive continued education in contemporary cultural issues in architecture including visual literacy and new materials. The third and final semester concentrates on the material, concluding with a design studio centered around large-scale fabrications combined with courses focused on aesthetics and production.
- Advanced Architectural Design Studio
- Contemporary Theory 1989-Present
- Architecture Design Innovation
- MSD-AAD Design Research Studio
- New Materials and Methods
- Visual Literacy and its Culture
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArchitecture Design View 625 other Masters in Design in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Pennsylvania and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Online application
- Recommendation Letters (3)
- Personal Statement
- Evaluations / Transcripts
- GRE scores
- English Proficiency Test
International54964 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 54964 USD per year during 12 months.
National54964 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 54964 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Philadelphia
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.