The Lehman MSEd in Counselor Education - School Counseling from The City University of New York develops culturally competent, ethical, caring, data-informed professional school counselors in an urban educational framework.
The Counselor Education program climate emphasizes collaboration, leadership, self-awareness, and mutual respect among diverse groups and includes anti-racist and anti-oppression practices in coursework and fieldwork.
- Candidates demonstrate knowledge of professional school counseling interventions in the following: identity/ethics, counseling theories and techniques, group work, multicultural counseling, career counseling, human development, assessment, research and program evaluation, leadership/advocacy/consultation, college access, and trauma/violence/chemical dependency skills with course artifacts.
- Candidates demonstrate the ability to assess and implement American School Counselor Association (ASCA) National Model Framework for School Counseling Programs using artifacts including School Counseling Program Assessment, Action Plans, Results Reports, and Lesson Plan Outlines in practicum, internship, and school counseling program action research projects.
- Candidates know and use evidence-based and data-informed practices in delivering, implementing, and evaluating school counseling programs and interventions to help close achievement, opportunity, and attainment gaps.
EmploymentGraduates work as school counselors in K-12 public, private, and charter schools in metro New York City, nationwide, and internationally as well as in college access, affordability, and admission counseling; career counseling; and student affairs counseling positions.
Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (www.cacrep.org) and CAEP, the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (www.caepnet.org).
- Professional Identity in School Counseling
- Counseling Theories and Techniques
- Understanding Individuals with Disabilities
- Multicultural and Social Justice Counseling
- Human Development in Counseling
- Career Counseling
- 12 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation School Counselling View 553 other Masters in School Counselling in United States
- A completed bachelor's or master's degree from an accredited institution of higher education and original transcripts from all prior undergraduate and/or graduate institutions.
- A minimum 3.0 G.P.A. from a completed undergraduate or graduate degree program.
- Two letters of recommendation evaluating the applicant's potential as a professional counselor in areas of leadership, advocacy, collaboration, coordination, counseling, technology, and skills in affirming culturally diverse student populations.
- A completed application, including a 1,000-word essay consisting of responses to questions found in the graduate admissions on-line application, for the Counselor Education program.
- Currently certified New York State teachers may submit a copy of their teaching certificate. (Note: A teaching certificate is NOT required to become a school counselor in New York State.)
- A résumé.
International51300 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
National51300 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
- Full-time - $5,545/semester
- Part-time - $470/credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.