These are two challenging degree programs, but we've designed the curriculum so you can earn each degree side-by-side in the four years it takes you to complete optometry school. Your optometric education will start with classroom work, where you'll study topics such as optics, gross anatomy, eye movements, public health optometry, pediatric eye care, and more.
The Optometry - Vision Science OD/MS program, which involves a combination of basic science, research and clinical training, is for students who have outstanding scholastic qualifications and are highly motivated to pursue careers as clinician-scientists.
Then you'll spend lots of time in the clinic, learning by practicing on actual patients at The University of Alabama at Birmingham and off-site clinics. Meanwhile, we'll want you to sit down with a faculty mentor to discuss your goals for completing your MS. Our program focuses research on ocular biology, systems neuroscience, biomedical optics, and patient-based vision research. Before you graduate, you'll defend a thesis based on your research. In the end, we want you to be a true vision expert.
- Classes at the School of Optometry are small, with about 50 students per class, which allows participants to engage with the program's internationally recognized faculty.
- Collaborate with the departments of Ophthalmology, Neurology, Psychology, and more.
- Fundamentals in Health Sciences
- Geometric and Clinical Optics
- Basic Science and Clinical Optometry
- Ocular Anatomy
- Physiology of the Eye
- Biochemistry of the Eye
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPublic Health Human Medicine Health Management View 867 other Masters in Health Management in United States
- Three letters of recommendation
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Personal statement/essay
- Official transcripts from undergraduate degrees along with transcripts from other institutions where transfer credits were obtained
- Minimum undergraduate GPA of at least a B (3.0) average
- The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is optional. If applicant has taken the GRE, scores may be submitted along with the application.
National36008 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18004 USD per semester during 36 months.
In-State18572 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9286 USD per semester during 36 months.
- International Costs: $1,438 Each semester hour of coursework
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.