To get started, you'll take courses that cover topics such as radiation biophysics, hazard evaluation, environmental radioactivity, nuclear physics, radiobiology, and medical radiology.
Then, we'll familiarize you with the fundamentals of quality patient care with an offering of professional development electives. Next, we’ll build on that foundation by offering a chance for you to get real-world experience in an actual practice. Finally, you and a faculty mentor can identify projects that suit your goals and interests, so you can get some research under your belt. In the end, you will have had training and experiences that will be beneficial to you as you pursue a career in a medical facility, defense plant, higher education institution, or elsewhere.
- This is one of 20 master's of health physics programs in the U.S., and the only one in Alabama.
- Certified health physicists earned an average income of $138,852 in 2018 (Health Physics Society).
- Professional Skills Development
- Research Design and Statistics
- Nuclear Medicine Physics, Instrumentation, and Lab
- Regulations, Radiation Protection/Biology and Lab
- Principles of Health Physics
- Physics of Diagnostic Imaging
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
International applicants should apply at least six months in advance of deadlines to ensure processing of all Visa paperwork.
DisciplinesPhysics Health Sciences View 608 other Masters in Physics in United States
In addition to the general Graduate School admission requirements, applicants to the M.S. program must:
- Have a baccalaureate degree in biology, physics, chemistry, biomedical sciences, bioengineering, or a related degree from an accredited college or university,
- Have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 (A= 4.0), computed from all undergraduate credits or from the last 60 semester hours of undergraduate course credit,
- Apply for admission to the UAB MHP Program,
International39644 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1496 USD per credit during 24 months.
National37577 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1418 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State15767 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 595 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.