In fact, we've structured our English program to help you meet a variety of career goals. For instance, in addition to your classes, you'll work one-on-one with a graduate faculty member, participate in Graduate Research Day, and write a thesis or submit work for presentation at regional and national conferences.
Plus, we're going to help you choose the concentration that's best for your future. If you choose creative writing, we'll put you in workshops that'll develop your skills as a poet, fiction, or nonfiction writer. You'll sharpen your abilities as a sensitive, critical reader of literature, which will further your skills as a creative writer.
Choose literature and you'll read, discuss, study, and critique British and American works. Finally, if you're interested in become a teacher or professional writer, rhetoric and composition will be right up your alley. You'll learn about the many roles of writing in business and industry, including politics, advertising, and more.
- The University of Alabama at Birmingham student publications focus on poetry, work by women writers, professional writing, and literary arts.
- New trends debunk the idea that a liberal arts degree is a career dead end. Forbes recently reported that tech hubs across the U.S. are "discovering that liberal arts thinking makes them stronger."
- Forms of Poetry
- Modern British and European Drama
- Forms of Fiction
- Modern American Poetry
- Young Adult Literature
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature Linguistics View 666 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
- Transcripts: from all previous colleges from which you earned undergraduate or graduate credits.
- An essay describing your background and your reasons for applying to the UAB English M.A. program. This need not be too extensive—approximately 500 words should suffice—but it should be carefully and clearly written.
- Writing Sample
- Letters of Recommendation: Ideally, there should be three letters of recommendation written by people who are familiar with and qualified to assess your academic abilities.
- Optional: CV/Resumé
- Optional: Test Scores
International35371 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1141 USD per credit during 12 months.
National33046 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1066 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State13950 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 450 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.