Everybody has problems, and no one can face their problems alone—they need help, and you could be that support. With the proper training, you can give people the guidance they need as a professional counselor at a mental health center, public school, hospital, or rehab facility.
We can teach you how to interact with a diverse clientele and give you an understanding of different ethical decisions you may have to make. How? Well, first and foremost, we stick to our mission. We've created an academically rigorous, student-centered, and supportive environment here at UAB, and we're proud of it. We keep that mission by offering you three different concentrations, and we build a foundation necessary for you to succeed in your chosen concentration. But that's just the beginning. We believe hands-on experience is essential, and that's why we want you to get supervised field experience and counseling internships that are critical for your success. When you graduate, you can pursue a career as a school, mental health, or family counselor.
The University of Alabama at Birmingham Counseling program also offers two graduate counseling certificates in Marriage, Couples, and Family Counseling and in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. Current counseling graduate students concentrating in clinical mental health or school counseling, as well as practitioners with a master’s degree in clinical mental health or school counseling, may pursue a Marriage, Couples, and Family certificate. Current counseling graduate students concentrating in school counseling or marriage, couples, and family counseling as well as practitioners with a master’s degree in school counseling or marriage, couples, and family counseling may pursue a Clinical Mental Health certificate. These certificates will enhance the versatility of counselors and expand the range of knowledge and services they are able to offer their clients.
- Some students complete their internship at the School of Education's Community Counseling Clinic, which recently saw its 1,000th patient.
- Jobs for mental health counselors will grow 23 percent in 10 years—faster than average (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics).
- Research & Prgm Eval in Coun
- Professional Orientation
- Theories of Individual Counseling
- Foundations of Substance Abuse
- Advanced Counseling Techniques
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesSchool Counselling Counselling Psychology View 630 other Masters in Counselling Psychology in United States
- Each applicant seeking admission to a Counseling program concentration must include with the other required materials, a typewritten statement of professional purpose that reflects the applicant’s background, development, pertinent work-related experience, professional career objectives and specified ways that completion of this program will contribute to his/her goal for becoming a professional counselor. Applicants to the school counseling concentration who do not already hold a teaching certificate in the state of Alabama must complete fingerprinting and a background check as part of their application.
- GPA: (2.75 or better)
- Standardized Test Scores: GRE-V (146 or better) and GRE-Q (147 or better)
International24135 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1187 USD per credit during 36 months.
National22549 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1109 USD per credit during 36 months.
In-State9516 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 468 USD per credit during 36 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.