The English Literatures MA program offered at San Francisco State University serves the needs of those whose goal is teaching in junior or community colleges or private high schools, pursuing a Ph.D., or advancing skills and knowledge in reading and writing about literature. Our graduates work as teachers in high schools and community colleges; enter the field of publishing; write for journals, magazines, and online publications; earn PhDs; enter law school; start their own businesses; and work for non-profits, foundations, and government agencies.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to produce well-supported and clearly articulated literary arguments that demonstrate their expertise in a historical field.
- Students will be able to produce well-supported and clearly articulated literary arguments that draw on appropriate theoretical paradigms.
- Students will be able to present their work orally in various academic contexts.
- Students will be able to select, analyze, interpret, and evaluate a range of printed and electronic primary and secondary literary and literary-cultural source materials and integrate them into their own writing, using proper citation methods.
- Students will be able to engage in meaningful dialogue with critical debates in the field.
- Medieval English Literature
- The Romantic Movement
- Studies in Victorian Literature
- 20th Century English Literature
- Southern African Literature in English
- Contemporary American Short Fiction
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Literature View 834 other Masters in Literature in United States
- University “Cal State Apply” application
- Department application for MA: English Literatures (available from the English Department website)
- A statement of purpose, detailing the applicant’s intellectual interests, the basis of his or her engagement in the field, and professional goals
- An academic writing sample
- Transcripts from each college or university attended
- Two or more academic letters of recommendation
International8956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8956 USD per year during 12 months.
National8956 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8956 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for San Francisco
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.