All programs are formulated to suit the needs of the individual student (based in part on a diagnostic examination taken upon entering the program) and require the consent of the Head of HPP. A minimum of 21 hours of course work is required, together with 12 hours of applied music, proficiency in one relevant foreign language, and a lecture-recital (3 hours).
Ensemble Participation and Outside Engagements
All students in the Historical Performance Practice program of the Case Western Reserve University will participate in two or more of the university early music ensembles during each semester in which they are on campus. Students are encouraged to take outside engagements that will contribute to their professional development, but any engagements that might have a significant impact on class attendance, TA/RA duties, or ensemble participation must be cleared by the HPP committee; to request an absence for an outside engagement, students should submit an HPP Absence Request form (available on the department website) to the Head of HPP as soon as possible, and at the latest by the end of the previous semester.
- Research Methods in Music
- Historical Performance Practice
- Medieval/Renaissance Notation
- Pre-common Practice Theory and Analysis,
- Seminar in Historical Performance Practice
- Historical Performance Practice Studio Class
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Music Performance View 1117 other Masters in Music in United States
- Admission to the program is granted to those who demonstrate a high level of early music performance skill and good scholarly potential.
- 2 Writing Samples (paper, chapter, article, thesis)
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose/Objectives
- CV or Resume
- GRE Test Scores for the General Exam (Music GRE not required)
- TOEFL (only needed if English is not the native language and the applicant has not completed a degree at a US institution)
- Audition videos; live interview (by faculty invitation) requires Zoom
International50838 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25419 USD per semester during 24 months.
National50838 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25419 USD per semester during 24 months.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.