The Health Professions Education field is dynamic, productive and generates high-quality evidence capable of guiding educational design and development. However, the translation of best evidence into meaningful and evidence-based practices is still a challenge. The University of Minho and the National Board of Medical Examiners embraced the mission of creating a Master in Assessment in Health Professions Education to build an international community of practice committed to the translation of the latest evidence in the medical education literature into high quality, customized, fair, engaging and innovative assessment systems.
Our master provides the knowledge, networking, and leadership skills to empower change agents to design and implement assessment-based educational projects at their home institutions with impact in their community.
Our 2-year program consists of a short residential session (2 weeks) focused on project design and management followed by a structured distance-learning component that allows the participants to align the master´s activities with their regular occupation.
We rely on an international group of teachers capable of facilitating the design of intervention projects in diverse areas of the Health Professions Education field.
The program is multi-lingual - our facilitators can interact in English, Portuguese, Spanish, and inter-professional.
At the end of the master students will be able to:
- Apply the knowledge acquired in the implementation of assessment and accreditation processes in the health professions education.
- Identify educational priorities that address health needs and challenges from the lens of assessment and accreditation.
- Understand the different dimensions of assessment and accreditation in health professions training regarding temporal,cultural or technological contexts.
- Critically evaluate the outcome of research studies and apply scientific evidence to educational projects.
- Design and develop a research study.
- Develop strategies to effectively communicate and meet the main educational goals of health professions.
- Take a leading role in the implementation of educational projects in different cultural, technological and resource contexts.
A3ES - Agência de Avaliação e Acreditação do Ensino Superior (www.a3es.pt/pt/resultados-acreditacao/avaliacao-aplicada-formacao-nas-profissoes-da-saude)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
A complete study plan
- Project Design, Implementation, Management and Evaluation (12 ECTS)
- Assessment in Health Professions Education (20 ECTS)
- Accreditation in Health Professions Education (18 ECTS)
- Curriculum Design in Health Professions Education (10 ECTS)
- Teaching and Learning Theories in Health Professions (15 ECTS)
- Research Methodologies in Health Professions(15 ECTS)
- Dissertation (30 ECTS)
Applicants should hold a bachelor's degree or legal equivalent, or hold a foreign higher education degree in health or holder of academic, scientific or professional curriculum recognized as attesting the capacity to accomplish this cycle of studies, in accordance with Article 17 of Decree-Law 74/2006 of 24 March and subsequent changes.
John Norcini; M. Brownell Anderson; Nuno Sousa; Manuel João Costa; Fernando Rodrigues; João Cerqueira; José Miguel Pêgo; Vitor Hugo Pereira; Marco Carvalho Filho
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
1st call of applications: until May 31st 2021;
2nd call of applications: June 1st to July 15th 2021;
3rd call of applications: July 16th to August 29th 2021.
4th call of applications: December 10th 2021
- Fully structured
- Continuous support with feedback on request, Proactive tutoring and support
- Individual work/assignments (with online group discussions), Online group works/assignments
DisciplinesEducation Project Management Health Sciences View 6 other Masters in Project Management in Portugal
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Applications are open to:
1. Holders of a bachelor's degree or legal equivalent;
2. Holders of a foreign higher education degree in "Health";
3. Holders of an academic, scientific or professional curriculum recognized by the Scientific Council of the School of Medicine as attesting the capacity to accomplish this cycle of studies.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International6500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6500 EUR per year during 24 months.
National6500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6500 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Braga
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.