The Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) program of the University at Buffalo has been considered the terminal professional degree for those seeking opportunities to teach ESL/ENL (English as a new language) in national and international institutions of higher education.
Program Learning Outcomes
As a student in this program you will:
- acquire a solid foundation in TESOL with coursework in methodology, second language acquisition, pedagogical grammar and a semester long practicum
- add breadth and depth to your preparation with courses in second language literacy, assessment, online pedagogical uses of technology and intercultural communication
- develop a practical approach, grounded by current theory and research, in the fields of applied linguistics, educational theory, best practices in pedagogy and second language acquisition
- have opportunities to interact with and learn from graduate students in many fields of education, such as early childhood education and traditional teacher education specializations
- college-level ESL programs
- adult-level ESL programs
- all levels internationally
- Linguistics for L2 Educators
- TESOL Methods and Materials
- Language Acquisition, 1st & 2nd
- Pedagogical Grammar of English
- Academic Language Writing/Literacy
- TESOL Practicum
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesTeaching English View 197 other Masters in Teaching English in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Application fee: A $50 non-refundable fee
- Unofficial transcripts from all colleges attended
- Contact information for at least two individuals who will each be asked to provide an electronic recommendation letter.
- Career goals statement: a clearly-written personal statement that speaks to your career goals, explaining your commitment to college teaching, and addressing an educational or social issue in college teaching of personal interest.
- Official original proof of your degree
- A copy of your passport biographical page
- Official test scores for either the TOEFL, the IELTS or PTE
- Financial documentation
- An official bank statement
International46200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23100 USD per semester during 12 months.
National46200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23100 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State22620 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11310 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Buffalo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.