About the English for Speakers of Other Languages program
The English for Speakers of Other Languages program of the University at Buffalo is also for you if you have already obtained initial teacher certification before entering the program, but you aspire to complete both a master's degree in ESOL education and satisfy grades K–12 professional ESOL certification requirements. Our program focuses on teaching English as a new language to speakers of other languages in American educational systems: early childhood, childhood and secondary schools.
If you already have obtained your teacher certification and are looking to add to your professional skill set, our ESOL certificate of advanced study is for you. Our extension program focuses on teaching English as a new language to speakers of other languages in American educational systems: early childhood, childhood and secondary schools. To be eligible for this program, you must have native or near native proficiency in both English and Spanish.Why English for Speakers of Other Languages Education at UB?
The features of our program include:
- research and evaluation projects, including field experiences and projects in collaboration with local schools' bilingual and second language programs
- study of English language learners and bilingual education students
- study of foundation of bilingual, dual and second language education
- study of bilingualism and first and second language acquisition
- study of developmental readers, second language reading processes, and reading instruction at elementary grades; second language literacy; adolescent literacy practice; language, literacy and culture; children's and young adult literature; and classroom reading and second language assessment
- Psychology Foundations of Education
- Literacy Acquisition and Instruction, PreK-Primary
- ESL Literacy/Focus Reading
- Linguistics for L2 Educators
- Language Acquisition
- Literacy/Focus Writing
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Language Studies Teaching View 1744 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- To be eligible for this program, you must have majored in or completed 30 credit hours in one of the following areas: English, languages other than English, Linguistics, a speech-related field
- You must have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution
- Application fee: A $50 non-refundable application fee
- Test scores
- Contact information for two individuals who will each be asked to provide an electronic recommendation letter
- Unofficial transcripts from all colleges attended
- Statement of education and career goals
- Applicants to the master's degree program (professional certification) must have applied for, or received, New York State initial teacher certification in the matching certification area
- Official original proof of your degree
- A course-by-course transcript evaluation by NACES
- A copy of your passport biographical page
- Official test scores for either the TOEFL, IELTS or PTE
- Financial documentation
- An official bank statement
International46200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23100 USD per semester during 24 months.
National46200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23100 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State22620 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11310 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Buffalo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.